Thursday, June 17, 2021

Silver Glen Springs

I have a personal goal to visit all the springs in Florida and I'm well on my way. One I had really been wanting to cross off my bucket list was Silver Glen Springs located in the Ocala National Forest. Last time I was over that way checking out springs I didn't get to that one and after seeing online pictures I was really disappointed I skipped it. I had also recently just gotten a faux pro (A generic sport camera that's waterproof) and I was really eager to try it out. I'll do another post reviewing it because it's pretty sweet! All of the images in this post were taken with that camera.

What I really liked about Silver Glen was that it wasn't super deep. Sometimes that seventy two degree year round water can take your breath away, so I like to be able to touch while my body is getting used to it! The clarity of the water was brilliantly clear and you almost felt like you were in a pool. I was able to do some snorkeling and to get some underwater video and pictures. Lots of people had rafts which is a great way to check out the springs. It was very nice that they had an air compressor there to blow up your rafts, very thoughtful!

As with most Florida springs that get a lot of visitors you'll want to arrive early to assure parking and a spot in the shade. The parking area does close once they reach capacity. There was plenty of grassy area to set up canopy's, blankets or umbrellas. You can rent a canoe and check out the spring run that flows into Lake George or you can bring your own canoe or kayak as well. While you can snorkel in the spring you can't SCUBA like you can in some of the other Florida Springs. If you feel like staying the night they have a campground there as well. You could explore the other local springs in the area. Juniper, Alexander and Salt Springs, which you can read about here. They only have portable toilets so keep that in mind if you aren't a fan of the port a potty. The cost to get in for adults is $5.50 as of July 2018 but prices are always subject to change. You can find Silver Glen at 5271 FL-19, Salt Springs, FL 32134.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Collier-Seminole State Park

Collier-Seminole State Park, located just South of Naples is home to a feat of mechanical engineering history. The Bay City Walking Dredge...